Friday, October 3, 2008

Waterfalls & Freeways

Remember last night I proclaimed October as "Get to know your camera" month? Well, today I took some time out of my day (and my night) to do just that. Today I played with slow shutter speeds.
I started out this afternoon at the entrance to our community where there are 3 different waterfalls. Here are a couple of the images I captured. . .
My goal with these photos was to get that "silky" "smokey" water look. I have always been a fan of that look but always figured it would be too hard for ME to do. Well, look at me go! They are not perfect but for a 1st try I think they are pretty darn good. And they also helped me with that Love/Hate relationship I told you I had with my camera!

Here are the specs on this 1st one:
Mode: Shutter Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/8 (of a second)
Aperture: F32
Lens: 18-200mm
Focal Length: 65mm
EV Compensation: -2.3

Here are the specs on this next one:
Mode: Shutter Priority
Shutter Speed: 1/8 (of a second)
Aperture: F32
Lens: 18-200mm
Focal Length: 65mm
EV Compensation:-5.0

I didn't realize until I started typing out the specs for these 2 photos that I had picked 2 with the same specs to put on the blog.

This afternoon's shooting adventure went so well I decided to head back out right after the sun set for some fun highway photos. Here are a couple images from tonight's shoot. . .

Again I was shooting with a slow shutter speed. My goal here was to get those "tracers" that lights can make. I know you have all seen these kinds of pictures before. Again, not perfection, but I am pleased. Unfortunately all of the highway overpasses here in Phoenix have "cages" around the walkways so that you can't jump if your pictures don't turn out. (that is the only reason for making overpasses - right?) Because of this, you can see a little bit of a grid in these photos. Oh well, safety first I suppose.

Specs for Highway Photo #1:

Mode: Manual

Shutter Speed: 8 Seconds (WOW!)

Aperture: F32

Lens: 18-200mm

Focal Length: 116mm

EV Compensation: 0.0

Specs for Highway Photo #2:
Mode: shutter Priority
Shutter Speed: 15 Seconds (WOW!)
Aperture: F22
Lens: 18-200mm
Focal Length: 44mm
EV Compensation: 0.0

Specs for Highway Photo #3:
Mode: Shutter Priority
Shutter Speed: 8 Seconds (WOW!)
Aperture: F16
Lens: 18-200mm
Focal Length: 98mm
EV Compensation: -1.0


I hope you enjoyed the photos tonight, and even more I hope it inspires you to try something with your camera (or anything) that you didn't think you could do! A couple little tips for you if you want to try the slower shutter speeds with your camera this weekend.

  • Be sure you use a tripod when you use these slower speeds. It is virtually impossible to hand hold your camera under these circumstances. You will just get too much camera shake.
  • Take advantage of the self timer on your camera for these shots too. It futher decreases the chance of camera shake.

So, enjoy your weekend! Get out there and enjoy these cool temps we are supposed to get this weekend. WOW! Can you believe the low 80's this weekend! Sounds like heaven to me!!!!!

2 comments:

Eva said...

Wow what beautiful pictures. Awesome work!

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I was looking through your blog and found it very interesting to me. As an artist here in Southern California I appreciate a variety of artistic expression.

Having said all that I would like to invite you to become friendly with me here in my San Diego blog, and comment.

You may also see that many of my labels are unique in artistic expression and always at least a music video and other aspects.

I hope you will stop by,
take care