Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Just a Little Inspiration. . .

to make you want to get your camera out and play.
Those of you that were able to come to the Photo Book Club a week ago already know our new assignment for our next meeting is RED! It's going to be a RED HOT Summer here in Phoenix so I figured this was a more than appropriate theme. A few days ago I had a free day and went out and started "collecting" my RED photos for our new book assignment and I thought I'd share a few of them with you here today.

I have started the book already, so stay tuned for a sneak peek of what we will be making at our meeting in August (the 16th - so be sure to sign up early).


I have been playing with the metering functions and lighting functions on my camera the past few days. I am really loving the results I am getting. I encourage you to play around with these functions on your camera as well. Remember that photography is just capturing and recording light. So, it is very important that we all learn to take full advantage of the light available to us when shooting, as well as the functions available to us on our cameras.
I went out to my favorite sunset spot again tonight to practice some with my metering functions and I thought I'd share what captured tonight. Did any of you go out and watch the sunset tonight? It was really RED! It was beautiful. Unfortunately, most of that color came from all of the smoke in the sky from the fire on the Bradshaw Mountains.


Since I have been paying with light I decided to do some window shots. Some were successful, while others were flops! But that's how you learn right? Here is my sweet Monkey (she is almost always a willing subject) standing at an East facing window late morning. I love the light on her face. It is not a perfect picture, but I really love the warmth of the light on her face. You might want to try washing your windows before you try this if you want to keep the photos. As you can see I didn't take my own advice!


Sunday I did a maternity shoot for a couple and we did the window thing again. I uped the contrast on the final image quite a bit to make it a bit more dreamy looking. And I really like how they are washed in light here. All of the white in the photo really brightens the light too.


This next one I used my studio lights for and I love the subtle highlights flowing down from the center of her face and down her breasts and belly.

Well, I hope I have inspired you to get your cameras in your hands and get out there and capture some images and some memories!!!!




No comments: